Job Opening: Full-Time Cook
(will consider part-time)
Schedule: Full-time (40 hours) but the Agency will consider 24 hours for the right candidate. Schedule is Thursdays 10:30am – 6:30pm and Saturdays 5:30am – 1:30pm with some flexibility for other days depending on your preferences.
Description: Responsible for the preparation, production, presentation, and serving of meals by following menus and standardized recipes in a commercial kitchen. Approximately 90 people are served three meals daily.
Compensation: $18 – $19 per hour ($37,500 – $39,500 annually) plus excellent benefits, including heavily subsidized health insurance; 20 paid days off and 6 paid holidays annually; 401k retirement contributions; education & license reimbursement; discounts on products and services; gym membership subsidy, flexible spending account, meals, etc. and a friendly & casual work atmosphere
- One year experience in food preparation required.
- A City of Chicago Food Service Sanitation Manager Certification, or Food Handler Certification, or obtain certification within 30 days.
- Knowledge of basic commercial kitchen equipment and cleaning.
- One year experience in large food quantity preparation in a health care facility preferred.
To apply, please go Here to complete an application at https://friedmanplace.org/job-openings/
Located on the northwest side of Chicago, Friedman Place is a nonprofit residential community that serves adults aged 22 and up who are disabled and blind or visually impaired. Each resident lives in his or her own apartment – there are 81 in the building – with a full bathroom and kitchenette. The building is specially designed for people with visual impairments such as special lighting; changes in floor textures; high-contrast paint colors; handrails; and “talking” elevators so residents may move about safely and freely while at home.
Staff, specially trained to work with adults with visual impairments, provides social work and nursing services; housekeeping; meals; and a variety of programs and activities fitting resident needs and interests. All services promote integrated physical, mental and social health so residents lead as full and as independent lives as possible. The agency has 65 employees and 100 volunteers and is led by a volunteer board of directors.
Job Opening: Dietary Aide/Waitstaff
Description: This is a full-time temporary position that will last at least until the end of December with the possibility of becoming permanent. Responsibilities include serving food; assuring that the work area is clean, neat and orderly; preparing food items such as desserts, salads, sandwiches, and beverages; operating a dishwasher, etc.
Compensation: $14 – $15 per hour, depending on skills and experience. Friedman Place provides very generous benefits including 20 paid days off plus 6 paid holidays annually to new full-time employees; heavily subsidized health insurance (employees pay $23.08 per pay period for PPO and $6.92 for HMO); retirement contributions (after 2 years); educational and licensure reimbursement; discounts on products and services; subsidy for gym membership, flexible spending account, discounted meals, etc.
Schedule: Shifts available at various times 7 days/week to cover 3 meals/day.
- High School graduate or GED equivalent preferred.
- At least one-year experience in food service preferred.
- A Food Handler License or obtain within the first 30 days of employment
- Ability to perform each of the essential position functions
- Ability to operate all kitchen equipment
- Able to be on one’s feet for extended periods
- Ability to twist, turn, bend, stand, climb stairs and lift up to 30 pounds as required to perform the duties associated with this job.
To apply, please go to https://friedmanplace.org/job-openings/